Life on the Open Road (April 2006 - May 2008)

The continuing saga of a single fulltime RVer who travels the western US. This is part one of my journey, from April 2006, when the blog started, to May 2008, when the blog continues at www.lifeontheopenroad.blogspot.com

My Photo
Name:

I have been a full-time RVer for 20 years, primarily "boondocking," camping free without hookups, in the Western US. My batteries are charged solely by solar panels. I welcome your comments and emails. I also make trips to other countries, although not usually with the RV.

Friday, March 28, 2008

Carlsbad Caverns


Formed 250 million years ago, the area has over 300 known caves. I did the self-guided Natural Entrance tour. This is the bat amphitheater, where you can watch thousands of Mexican Free-tailed bats exit the cave at dusk when they are in residence from April to October.


Hmmmm... Well, I guess I'm okay...


Actually, I didn't know what the big deal was. The natural entrance trail is paved and 800 feet downhill. At the end, you take an elevator back up. The entrance is 90 feet wide and 40 feet high. Here are just a few of the formations I saw.


Devil's Spring -- it's not really a spring, but is fed by dripping water.


Whale's Mouth -- made of a formation they call "Draperies."


The Green Lake Room


Now I'm in the "Big Room," 8.2 acres worth. This was a beautiful formation called the "Temple of the Sun."


And I really liked this one, the "Chinese Theater."


I don't know what this one is called, but all the guys were taking pictures of it.


About half way through the tour, I figured out how to take pictures in the Cavern. Do not use your flash! Just set the camera on the stone wall that is beside the path, try to keep the camera still, and hope for the best. A bean bag would have helped. Maybe next time...

2 Comments:

Blogger Barbara and Ron said...

We went today. You got some good shots - I see what you mean about turning off the flash, but then you have to be able to set a long exposure. I took about 540 pictures, we'll see if any of them are decent. I especially love that last one.

4:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All down hill and an elevator to come back up?... that doesn't sound too hard. Looks beautiful, another place I'll have to go someday.

9:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home