Life on the Open Road (April 2006 - May 2008)

The continuing saga of a single fulltime RVer who travels the western US. This is part one of my journey, from April 2006, when the blog started, to May 2008, when the blog continues at www.lifeontheopenroad.blogspot.com

My Photo
Name:

I have been a full-time RVer for 20 years, primarily "boondocking," camping free without hookups, in the Western US. My batteries are charged solely by solar panels. I welcome your comments and emails. I also make trips to other countries, although not usually with the RV.

Sunday, April 15, 2007

The Wave Revisited

Last year, when Barb, Ron and Diana went to the Wave, it took 5 days to get a permit. This year we got one in 2 days. We must be getting luckier. Only 10 hiker permits are given out each day, via a lottery. It's a tough 3-mile hike, over sand and uneven rock, but well worth the effort. It's truly a photographers' paradise. The Wave is a group of 200,000-year-old petrified sand dunes, in Vermillion Cliffs National Monument.

We took time to see alot of the other rock formations outside the main part of the Wave. This one is called the Second Wave.

Here's Randy on the way to the Second Wave.


And here's Diana on top of Big Mac. (Our name for it)



You might have to click on this picture to find Randy. To read about last year's visit, click here. And of course there are more pictures on Flickr.

5 Comments:

Blogger Lew and Jan Johns said...

I know that Bloggers rarely get feedback. I read and appreciate all of your posts-including Kodgers...I love your Pics of the Wave, especially having studied a bit of Geology.

Enjoy, and as Lloyd says...Keep the Balance

Lew aka "geysergazers"

11:45 AM  
Blogger Bushrod said...

Diana, I agree with Janet! I like the pictures! Wow.
Th Wave and the Corksrew Canyon amaze me.
Thanks,
Bushord

10:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is time to for me to revisit these marvelous and beautiful rock carvings. Absolutely beautiful.

Thanks for reminding me of the natural beauty.

Lloyd

10:27 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Diane,

if you ever get a chance to visit the wave again leave the wave east and go around toprock eastern side. There's a rock resembling a "Big Mac" like you've never seen before. Furthermore Top Rock is worth while a visit as well as there is a beautiful arch called Melody arch. The colors and textures in the rocks in the alcove on Toprock are one of the most beautiful I've ever seen.

Henk

8:00 AM  
Blogger Barb said...

I love to see your travels. I've been receiving your blog posts for a couple years now. Never knew how to commu icate with you. I also travel mainly solo. I live near Toronto Canada and go to Tucson in winter in my class c. I went to south coyote Butte this spring...oh my oh my. The entire area was amazing

12:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home