Life on the Open Road (April 2006 - May 2008)

The continuing saga of a single fulltime RVer who travels the western US. This is part one of my journey, from April 2006, when the blog started, to May 2008, when the blog continues at www.lifeontheopenroad.blogspot.com

My Photo
Name:

I have been a full-time RVer for 20 years, primarily "boondocking," camping free without hookups, in the Western US. My batteries are charged solely by solar panels. I welcome your comments and emails. I also make trips to other countries, although not usually with the RV.

Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Our Year in Review


It's been another fine year, doing what we want, as free as we can imagine, drifting from south to north and back.

Some statistics--

Miles driven: Randy 10,000; Diana 13,000
Gas cost: Randy $2000; Diana $3000
Different spots camped: 103
Days with the WINs: 61

We each tried to picked our highlights. After a lot of careful thought, Randy came up with his:


1.Bagby Hot Springs, near Estacada, OR. Not only a great hot springs, but a terrific hike through old growth forest.


2.Camping at cool mountain passes.


3. Open ended wandering with no specific destination in Oregon.

Diana did not have any trouble coming up with her top 3:


1. Her new grandson, Jonathan, joined big sister Mara on October 1st.


2. Her new trailer (the one on the right), and the improvements we made to it.


3. The Cascade Lakes near Bend, OR. Wow! They were a real surprise.

New Year

8 Comments:

Blogger onthemove said...

Great choices!!
Happy New Year!!

9:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice review! We counted up our stops today and came up with 97 different places.

8:32 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Interesting statistics, Guys. Gives us another window into how you live. The Map was great. Wish you could show it the way Lloyd does, or even periodically....

I like the Highlights: Randy getting Hot and staying Cool and Diana's new House and new Grandbaby. :~)

Lew

5:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I counted my stops last year: 94 different places, but 99 moves in all. Hope this year I don't move so often.

Great review! How did you do the map?

Brenda

12:07 PM  
Blogger owner said...

Yea! how do you do the map.

4:51 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

The map was just done by drawing the route on a map I downloaded from the internet. I used Microsoft Digital Image to do the drawing. I like that better than Photoshop.

Lew, maybe we'll do it more often than once a year, but I don't know how to do it as an ongoing thing in the margin like Lloyd does. I asked him how he did it, and it doesn't sound like I can do it with Blogger.

Thanks, everyone, for the comments. We really appreciate them.

8:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great summary! I really liked the map. They were some of my favs too. Obviously the posts about Mara and Jonathan are my favorites. :) But I really liked the Bagby hot springs and a lot of your posts in Oregon. How come we never went there on any of our family trips? Nice picture of one of Oregon's famous briges.

7:26 AM  
Blogger Desert Diva said...

I'm so envious of your (and Randy's) nomadic lifestyle. I keep trying to figure out ways to retire earlier, but I worry about the long term ramifications.

Instead of going on a cruise, I should have visited with the WIN's in Yuma. However, the dance rally in February is much closer but I'm "tied to work" at the moment.

What would really be helpful (if it's not too personal) would be a rough "budget" on what it costs to live the "nomadic life" for a year. The gas information was really great, but how much you spend on food, Internet, etc... would be great.

I think I more or less know Randy's story of "independence," but how were you able to retire so young?

As always, I love the photos!

12:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home