Life on the Open Road (April 2006 - May 2008)

The continuing saga of a single fulltime RVer who travels the western US. This is part one of my journey, from April 2006, when the blog started, to May 2008, when the blog continues at www.lifeontheopenroad.blogspot.com

My Photo
Name:

I have been a full-time RVer for 20 years, primarily "boondocking," camping free without hookups, in the Western US. My batteries are charged solely by solar panels. I welcome your comments and emails. I also make trips to other countries, although not usually with the RV.

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Cascade Lakes

We've settled ourselves at a Sno-Park on the Cascade Lakes Highway, designated in 1998 as a National Scenic Byway. The elevation is 6000 feet, so we have escaped the heat of Bend. What a difference 15 miles makes! On Tuesday we went lake-hopping.

Sparks Lake is especially beautiful and interesting. It was selected as the site to commemorate Ray Atkeson, Oregon's Photographer Laureate. Who knew there was such a thing! It is geologically interesting because it illustrates the short life of shallow mountain lakes, as they slowly become a meadow.

For more lake pictures, go to Diana's Flickr pictures here.

Randy hasn't been getting enough sleep!


A visitor dropped in with a house-warming gift! WIN member and fellow 22H trailer owner Allan Moore showed up to share the cool mountain air.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you're keeping a list of all these great spots.

7:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I knew Ray Atkinson. He was a fellow PSA'er and I palled around with him at one of the PSA Conventions that I went to. Maybe it was the one in Portland some years ago. He has been dead for quite awhile, don't know how long.

8:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home