Life on the Open Road (April 2006 - May 2008)

The continuing saga of a single fulltime RVer who travels the western US. This is part one of my journey, from April 2006, when the blog started, to May 2008, when the blog continues at www.lifeontheopenroad.blogspot.com

My Photo
Name:

I have been a full-time RVer for 20 years, primarily "boondocking," camping free without hookups, in the Western US. My batteries are charged solely by solar panels. I welcome your comments and emails. I also make trips to other countries, although not usually with the RV.

Sunday, June 10, 2007

The Needles

Diana went on an exciting, bumpy 4X4 tour through the Needles section of Canyonlands. The worst part of the "road" is at the beginning, when you go over Elephant Hill. This picture shows some of the better parts of the jeep trail! I had been over it before, so I knew what to expect.

We went on a couple of hikes, this one through the Joint Trail to Chesler Park. That's Pete in there, one of my fellow tourmates.

Here's Dave, our fearless leader, along with tourmates Ann, Pete, and Richard, from Helper, UT. I was very lucky that they wanted to do exactly what I was hoping to do. They were very familiar with the area and even told me about some of their great camping spots.


Dave pondering Chesler Park. The tour company rarely does this tour anymore because it's so hard on the vehicles, so this was kind of a treat for him too.


After lunch we went over to the confluence of the Green River, on the left, and the Colorado River. This marks the separation point of the 3 different sections of Canyonlands National Park.


This was a spectacular trip, and I highly recommend it. Once again there are more pictures of Needles and Arches on Flickr

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! That looks like it was a spectacular trip. I'm sorry I missed it.

5:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you gotten the story straight on whether the Green River is bigger than the so-called Colorado River? I would really like to know.

Once I read that Colorado legislators renamed the Grand River, which starts in Grand County, Grand Lake, CO, and flows down to Grand Junction where it has its confluence with the Gunnison. They wanted the publicity and fame of claiming that mighty southwestern Father of Waters started in their state.

8:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home