Life on the Open Road (April 2006 - May 2008)

The continuing saga of a single fulltime RVer who travels the western US. This is part one of my journey, from April 2006, when the blog started, to May 2008, when the blog continues at www.lifeontheopenroad.blogspot.com

My Photo
Name:

I have been a full-time RVer for 20 years, primarily "boondocking," camping free without hookups, in the Western US. My batteries are charged solely by solar panels. I welcome your comments and emails. I also make trips to other countries, although not usually with the RV.

Friday, June 22, 2007

Invasion of the Mormon Crickets

Areas of Northern Nevada along streams are now overrun with these 3"-long creatures. The tiny town of Owyhee seems particularly hard-hit. They smell terrible, move around in large bands, and in some years these bands may include millions of individuals, with a population density of as much as 100 per square yard!



The females lay 100 eggs, and they hatch all at once. They eat grasses, shrubs, and each other. Early Mormons had a bad problem with the critters. To read about the Miracle of the Gulls, click here.



I wonder what this town did to deserve this plague!


When a large band crosses the road it can cause a safety hazard. Drivers experience a "distracted revulsion," and the road is slick with cricket fluids. Crickets stop and snack on their friends' carcasses, creating even more of a crunchy, slimy mess. How can something this stupid not be extinct?

3 Comments:

Blogger Desert Diva said...

Ick - I glad I'm not driving that way!

11:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I wonder what this town did to deserve this plague!"

Well, DUH. They held stupid hateful misogynist beliefs and this is their god's way of trying to put some sense into their thick skulls.

1:37 PM  
Blogger sally said...

gross, gross, gross!!!

10:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home