Life on the Open Road (April 2006 - May 2008)

The continuing saga of a single fulltime RVer who travels the western US. This is part one of my journey, from April 2006, when the blog started, to May 2008, when the blog continues at www.lifeontheopenroad.blogspot.com

My Photo
Name:

I have been a full-time RVer for 20 years, primarily "boondocking," camping free without hookups, in the Western US. My batteries are charged solely by solar panels. I welcome your comments and emails. I also make trips to other countries, although not usually with the RV.

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Advanced Boondocking III - Pits and Passes

Gravel pits are great for camping -- open, free, quiet. We use them fairly often. This one, off I70 at Utah exit 116, has a terrific view.

Mountain passes are a good refuge from the heat. Almost all have roads at the summit leading off to cool, quiet camping spots. They are likely to have cell phone service. Here we're camped in a forest of cell towers at Utah exit 184 off I15.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow nice tower site. You got lucky as most tower sites you need 4X4 just to get up them let alone hauling a trailer. We boondock 99% of the time. We like your blog. Got the link from our very good friend Padriac.

Steve and Nancy

7:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Agree with your advice. Sometimes, though, gravel pits are 'plinking' sites for locals. I'll bet Diana would object to gunfire out her window.

8:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home