Life on the Open Road (April 2006 - May 2008)

The continuing saga of a single fulltime RVer who travels the western US. This is part one of my journey, from April 2006, when the blog started, to May 2008, when the blog continues at www.lifeontheopenroad.blogspot.com

My Photo
Name:

I have been a full-time RVer for 20 years, primarily "boondocking," camping free without hookups, in the Western US. My batteries are charged solely by solar panels. I welcome your comments and emails. I also make trips to other countries, although not usually with the RV.

Friday, December 28, 2007

The Backlands of Yuma

RV parks soak up thousands of winter visitors, while the backlands absorb the odd hundreds. Those like us who are undisposed to the ordered lifestyle opt for the backlands.

In addition to the Yuma VFW and the state land around town, which we've already mentioned, there are lots of campable little nooks and crannies around the area.


Diana found this terrific piece of BLM land north of the Foothills. Again, all you need is a good map.


Three years ago, we spent months on Indian land along the All American Canal, while Randy built his trailer. A $45 fishing license is all that is required.


Ogilby Rd west of Yuma is another of our favorites, with great sunsets and access to world-class sand dunes.




This is John, a "compleat nomad," settled in at Yuma Lakes, another little hideaway of ambiguous ownership.




Clever Canadians cluster here in these two hideaways near the VFW.

Talking about boondocking in free places always moves Randy to poetry.

Backlands

Way out West, we're deeply blessed
With lots of public land.
Come camp with me where parking's free
And sky curves down to sand.

Here you won't find the wealthy kind--
They camp in an RV park.
And that's okay in its own way,
But it lacks the wildness spark.

Cheerful codgers and artful dodgers,
And those of the gypsy brood,
From far and near make camp out here
In warm solitude.

Oh I'm content to dodge the rent
Till springtime lets me roam.
Come out and see my gal and me
In our backlands home.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like the picture of Molly and her little footprints across the sand. The poem is perfect - I guess I'm either a cheerful codger or an artful dodger. I'm not sure which is better, but I love the phrasing.

7:27 PM  
Blogger sally said...

That sure looks like a familiar little 5th wheel in the second picture.

8:18 PM  
Blogger Lew and Jan Johns said...

Well, though I think the New Year properly begins at the Solstice (when the Sun begins to again climb higher into the sky, thus not abandoning us to Nuclear Winter)....Happy New Year to you two (and to all who read your BLOG) anyway.

Lew

7:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home