Life on the Open Road (April 2006 - May 2008)

The continuing saga of a single fulltime RVer who travels the western US. This is part one of my journey, from April 2006, when the blog started, to May 2008, when the blog continues at www.lifeontheopenroad.blogspot.com

My Photo
Name:

I have been a full-time RVer for 20 years, primarily "boondocking," camping free without hookups, in the Western US. My batteries are charged solely by solar panels. I welcome your comments and emails. I also make trips to other countries, although not usually with the RV.

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Moving on to Las Cruces


The old town of Mesilla has an interesting history. It was an important town in its day-- the crossroads of 2 main stagecoach lines, the Butterfield Stagecoach and the Santa Fe Trail.


San Albino Church, on Mesilla Plaza, was originally built of adobe in 1855, then rebuilt in 1906 to its present structure.


This building, which dates to 1850 once housed the capitol of Arizona and New Mexico. Later, it was the courthouse in which Billy the Kid was tried and sentenced to hang.


From my base at the Eagles in Las Cruces, I went to see White Sands National Monument.


There were a couple nice short hikes, one on a boardwalk, and one across the sand. You are allowed to walk off the trail, but they warn that it is VERY easy to get lost here.


It's tough climbing up the dunes -- sometimes you slide back more than you went up!



When I came into the park there were lots of warnings that no alcohol was allowed. I couldn't understand why this was such an issue, until I reached the end of the scenic drive.


This is a real party spot for Southern New Mexicans who want to go sledding!

Last, but certainly not least, I finally got to meet fellow blogger, WIN, and photography enthusiast, Desert Diva. I'm sorry I don't have a picture. We met at a great dancing spot in Las Cruces, Graham Central Station. Wow, I have never seen such good dancers. Thanks for inviting me, Cheryl.

3 Comments:

Blogger sally said...

Amazing how all that sand looks so much like snow.

8:20 AM  
Blogger Barbara and Ron said...

Boy, that sand is really white! And like Sally said, really looks like snow, until the last picture. How funny and looks like fun.

9:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mara would have loved to go sledding on the sand.

9:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home