Life on the Open Road (April 2006 - May 2008)

The continuing saga of a single fulltime RVer who travels the western US. This is part one of my journey, from April 2006, when the blog started, to May 2008, when the blog continues at www.lifeontheopenroad.blogspot.com

My Photo
Name:

I have been a full-time RVer for 20 years, primarily "boondocking," camping free without hookups, in the Western US. My batteries are charged solely by solar panels. I welcome your comments and emails. I also make trips to other countries, although not usually with the RV.

Saturday, March 22, 2008

More Rocks and Silver City

After 3 1/2 months in southern Arizona, I'm heading east to Texas. My first stop in New Mexico was the LoW Hi Ranch in Deming, home of another Singles RV group, Loners on Wheels. There were lots of WINs here too, also on their way to Texas.


We took a day trip to Silver City, on the way stopping to see City of Rocks State Park.


They have 40 gorgeous boondocking sites among the pillars of volcanic rock. Some of the rocks are as high as 40 feet. That's a person up there.


Hmmmmmm... Wonder what this one's called?


I'll do just about anything for a picture.


One of the amazing things about Silver City is that Main Street was totally washed away in a flood in 1902, creating a "Big Ditch."


What the Big Ditch looks like today.


The Warren House, built in 1885, was the only house still standing on Main Street after the flood.


The St. Vincent de Paul church was built in 1874, away from Main Street.


I found some new friends in town.




The Santa Rita Copper mine is one of the oldest mines in North America. Mining goes on 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Since 1910 more than 2 billion tons of material have been moved. The pit is now more than a mile across and 1600 feet deep.

6 Comments:

Blogger onthemove said...

Great shots and information about the area. You find all the neat spots.

11:50 AM  
Blogger sally said...

You are having just too much fun!! I hope to visit Silver Sity one of these days.

3:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

City of Rocks has been one of my favorite spots since I was first there in 1991! Glad you enjoyed it. Did you know there a several geocaches in the park?

Hugs, Sharon

7:12 PM  
Blogger Barbara and Ron said...

I especially love the one of you on your back taking a picture. Where is that picture, BTW?

7:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, we want to see the picture.

That's amazing about the flood.

4:39 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

The picture didn't make the cut!

9:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home