Life on the Open Road (April 2006 - May 2008)

The continuing saga of a single fulltime RVer who travels the western US. This is part one of my journey, from April 2006, when the blog started, to May 2008, when the blog continues at www.lifeontheopenroad.blogspot.com

My Photo
Name:

I have been a full-time RVer for 20 years, primarily "boondocking," camping free without hookups, in the Western US. My batteries are charged solely by solar panels. I welcome your comments and emails. I also make trips to other countries, although not usually with the RV.

Friday, May 09, 2008

Life in Tornado Alley

Driving to Mountain View, AR, the next stop on the WIN circuit, I started noticing a lot of houses with blue roofs. I finally realized that this was Tornado Alley. It turns out that a tornado went up the road I was on in early February. Unusual for that time of year, it was on the ground for 123 miles.


There were lots and lots of huge trees just torn out of the ground. Sorry these pictures are so bad, but this was "drive by shooting." (I just love my new little camera!)


Up in Mountain View, it hit on the east side of town. I hope the insurance office had good insurance! This was across from the hospital, which was also hit. Fortunately, all the patients got out.


The first two days in Mountain View were stormy and rainy.


But then the sun came out. In addition to tornados, these people have to put up with floods. They had a big one in March and again in April.


This shows the same bridge and tree during the March flood. The top of the bridge is barely above water.


The campground we stayed in was totally under water during both floods, even though it is way uphill from the creek.


The WINs decided to pitch in and help in the cleanup. Here, Max and Phil work on new insulation for the bath house that was underwater in the last picture.


More WINs cleaning up down by the creek.

3 Comments:

Blogger sally said...

The blue tarps remind me of when I was in Florida, after one of the big hurricanes. But us humans just keep adapting to whatever Mother Nature throws our way.

7:31 AM  
Blogger Tioga George said...

I am reading your blog while in Israel.

I don't know why, but the concept of being on the other side of the World sort of blows me away!

George

PS: This word verification thing is a pain in the butt!

4:59 PM  
Blogger Barbara and Ron said...

'Drive-by shooting' HA! Those flood pictures are really something. Even though they told us how high the water was, it's hard to imagine.

11:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home