Life on the Open Road (April 2006 - May 2008)

The continuing saga of a single fulltime RVer who travels the western US. This is part one of my journey, from April 2006, when the blog started, to May 2008, when the blog continues at www.lifeontheopenroad.blogspot.com

My Photo
Name:

I have been a full-time RVer for 20 years, primarily "boondocking," camping free without hookups, in the Western US. My batteries are charged solely by solar panels. I welcome your comments and emails. I also make trips to other countries, although not usually with the RV.

Friday, May 12, 2006

Camping in the Boondocks



We found a cool and lovely boondocking spot on BLM land 2 miles east of I15 at exit 95 and 100 yards down a dirt road. Miles from anywhere—you’d think we’d meet nary a soul. Yet in this remote spot no less than 10 people happened by.
An unseen motorist slipped in nearby to rest and left before dawn. Seven convicts in striped uniforms came through looking for cans. I engaged their supervisor who explained that the cans are of special interest and are kept separate from the other trash they gather. At days end he allows them to sell the cans and spend the proceeds at Burger King. Only low level offenders near their release date are allowed on cleanup crews. Inmates like the work and are paid $1.00 per hour, he said.

In the pm, a super-friendly Airedale charged in out of the blue and into my trailer. His owner hurried in to apologize.

Perhaps other boondockers have noticed how the world comes to you wherever you camp.

Randy

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the pictures. Keep up the wonderful work, Diana. Miss you guys. Hugs, Sharon

10:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home