Life on the Open Road (April 2006 - May 2008)

The continuing saga of a single fulltime RVer who travels the western US. This is part one of my journey, from April 2006, when the blog started, to May 2008, when the blog continues at www.lifeontheopenroad.blogspot.com

My Photo
Name:

I have been a full-time RVer for 20 years, primarily "boondocking," camping free without hookups, in the Western US. My batteries are charged solely by solar panels. I welcome your comments and emails. I also make trips to other countries, although not usually with the RV.

Sunday, April 16, 2006

Page, Arizona





After the Grand Canyon, we moved on to Page. We parked near a corral 1 1/2 miles up a dirt road across 89 from the road to Lone Rock. N 36.9956 W 111.5950

On Easter Sunday, Barbara, Ron and I went to Lower Antelope Canyon (also called the Corkscrew). It's a slot canyon that is a photographer's paradise, located on Navajo land just east of Page.

Diana

We are camped in one of the world’s great spots–the vista is 360degreesE and can’t be captured by camera. Within yards is a narrow slot canyon with walls a hundred feet high in places. The area has lots of them. Saturday night a fierce wind did its best to blow us away.

Around the corner is a movie set from the movie "Broken Arrow" starring John Travolta.

Almost within sight is the compound of the famous polygamist Alex Joseph and his six wives. You may have seen them on TV. In a previous visit here, I met him and was invited to look around. His church was a strange place indeed, sectioned off by family with his "throne" hidden behind a curtain. He gave me a paper summarizing his theological position. (Gobbledegook)

We have all these square miles to ourselves–because our rigs are so splendidly self-powered and self-contained.

A park ranger and a sheriff’s deputy have visited and chatted amiably. Neither knows exactly where the boundary is separating their respective domains.

Randy

2 Comments:

Blogger missing mozart said...

You have really inspired me to try some boon dock camping. I was just wondering what type of camera you are using. I know that Mother Nature can't be captured fully except in person, but your camera work is really special, and I would love to be able to do the same. I would also like to know what type of maps you are using to find the BLM sites? Can you use regular state maps or do you need specialized maps.
I'm looking forward to reading your other blogs, and hope to hear from you soon.
tee cee

8:53 AM  
Blogger Diana said...

Hi Tee Cee,
I have a Konica Minolta A2 camera. Sometimes I do HDRs, a combination of 3 photos, that I talked about here:
http://randyanddiana.blogspot.com/2007/11/pioneertown.html
The maps we use are DeLorme topo maps, available in Costco or book stores.
Thanks so much for your comment!

12:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home