Life on the Open Road (April 2006 - May 2008)

The continuing saga of a single fulltime RVer who travels the western US. This is part one of my journey, from April 2006, when the blog started, to May 2008, when the blog continues at www.lifeontheopenroad.blogspot.com

My Photo
Name:

I have been a full-time RVer for 20 years, primarily "boondocking," camping free without hookups, in the Western US. My batteries are charged solely by solar panels. I welcome your comments and emails. I also make trips to other countries, although not usually with the RV.

Monday, May 08, 2006

St. George, Utah



Thanks to Glen Nyberg, we have found a near perfect boondocking site–south of town on River Rd, into Arizona. 360 degree panoramic view–BLM land–free–and with good phone service. Best utilized during the month of April.

This gravel road winds its way through the mountains 70 miles to the Grand Canyon. The Mormons tried settlements here, establishing 3 towns to the south as ranching centers. All were soon abandoned. This vast area north of the Canyon is called the Arizona Strip, mostly dry and unoccupied.

Bicycling to a remote spot Saturday, I met two families from the notorious Colorado City, site of a polygamous cult. They came out here to target shoot and teach their children to shoot. Turns out one guy is Mr. Jeffs, brother of the leader of the cult. He answered all my questions about their lifestyle with surprising openness. Sunday, the newspaper headline read, "Jeffs declared FBI’s most wanted." (A cousin I presume)

I attended a "post Mormon" support group in St. George at the Holiday Inn. 35 people gather regularly to focus on their leaving the Mormon Church and the evils of religion in general. I couldn’t resist adding my views. Turns out there are similar groups all over Mormonland and a huge yearly conference held in Salt Lake.

Randy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home