Life on the Open Road (April 2006 - May 2008)

The continuing saga of a single fulltime RVer who travels the western US. This is part one of my journey, from April 2006, when the blog started, to May 2008, when the blog continues at www.lifeontheopenroad.blogspot.com

My Photo
Name:

I have been a full-time RVer for 20 years, primarily "boondocking," camping free without hookups, in the Western US. My batteries are charged solely by solar panels. I welcome your comments and emails. I also make trips to other countries, although not usually with the RV.

Thursday, May 04, 2006

Diana's Flight East




I just returned from a week back East, visiting relatives. I spent 3 days with my son and daughter-in-law in Northern Virginia. My daughter and her family also flew in from San Diego. My granddaughter, Mara, was the big attraction. She’s 19 months old and talking up a storm. The picture is of our 4 generations, my father, me, daughter Corrie and Mara.

I then spent 3 days with my father in Pennsylvania. He is really into black-and-white photography, and insisted my pictures of the Wave would look better in black-and-white. I’m not so sure. Somehow taking the color out of something so beautiful seems like a sacrilege. But here is one of the pictures so you can judge.

While I was gone, Randy stayed at Government Wash, on the north shore of Lake Mead, about 25 miles from Las Vegas. It's a beautiful spot, and free!

Diana

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love that dog picture! Is she single?

I vote with your father on the black-and-white. But the ideal time of the day for B&W might be when the sun is low, so as to accentuate the shadows and shapes of the topography.

Perhaps the issue comes down to whether nature photography is most like sculpture or like painting. Who was it--Michelangelo?--who said that every piece of marble has a great sculpture inside it; you just have to remove the extraneous material.

Maybe B&W does that by removing the distraction of color.

Please remove any comments of mine if they clutter up your website. It won't offend me.

1:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like B&W photos. However, this time I prefer the color version.Nature made The Wave in color and that is the only way to see that really beautiful scenery.

10:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just found your blog, first of all thank you for sharing your travels with the rest of us. My husband and I love to travel and plan on hitting the road full-time in July 2011. We too like being out and enjoying the sites and nature around us, so thank you for sharing the places you enjoy camping at... free is always better. I hope you do continue to post the free spot as we will definitely be a follower on your blog.

8:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home