Life on the Open Road (April 2006 - May 2008)

The continuing saga of a single fulltime RVer who travels the western US. This is part one of my journey, from April 2006, when the blog started, to May 2008, when the blog continues at www.lifeontheopenroad.blogspot.com

My Photo
Name:

I have been a full-time RVer for 20 years, primarily "boondocking," camping free without hookups, in the Western US. My batteries are charged solely by solar panels. I welcome your comments and emails. I also make trips to other countries, although not usually with the RV.

Thursday, April 27, 2006

Zion National Park






We moved on to Zion and parked 5 miles east of Virgin, UT at a little piece of BLM land along the Virgin River, just west of MM 24 on Hwy 9. I talked Barbara and Ron into doing a hike I’ve wanted to do for a while. It involved hiking 5 miles one-way from the top of a ridge, dropping 2000 feet down through Echo Canyon to the valley from an obscure trailhead on the east boundary of the park. Since Randy had a sore foot, we had ourselves a shuttle-man!

The first part of the hike was level, through a forest of pinyon and juniper with a few ponderosa pines. Then came the hard descent down into Echo Canyon. This part was steep and rocky. The prettiest part was probably going down through Echo Canyon, not too steep, meandering through a narrow crevice and some very pretty rock formations. The last part was a lot of switchbacks down to the valley floor and the park bus that took us back to the visitors center and our "shuttle-man."

Although 5 miles of downhill sounds easy, it’s hard on your knees! But it beats climbing and I was glad I did it.

Diana

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so envious! Your new website looks very professional. I'll have to tease LLoyd T. that he has an up-and-coming competitor.

Ok now it's my time to internet rant. (Maybe this is why LLoyd took the comment option out of his blogsite.) Have you considered the pro's and con's of "giving away" boondocking sites to the ignorant masses?

I can see both sides of this issue, but I hope you err on the side of caution. Boondocking on public lands is a dying sport, afterall, and we don't want to contribute to it.

Perhaps as a reasonable compromise, you could narrow a site down to one square inch on the Delorme or Benchmark atlas, and let an interested party find it--with some effort. Actually, finding the site is half the fun.

1:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Randy & Diana, this is alv, speaking from my anual mothers day visit in Sebastapol, Kalifornia.

I agree in total with Glenn & Pancho but would only give the page number & compass quadrant.

Diana...your site is beautifull & your pictures revealing of the true nature of planet earth.

Randy...your words are, as usual, smooth & eloquent. When do we get the poetry & phlosophical meanderings?

10:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home