Life on the Open Road (April 2006 - May 2008)

The continuing saga of a single fulltime RVer who travels the western US. This is part one of my journey, from April 2006, when the blog started, to May 2008, when the blog continues at www.lifeontheopenroad.blogspot.com

My Photo
Name:

I have been a full-time RVer for 20 years, primarily "boondocking," camping free without hookups, in the Western US. My batteries are charged solely by solar panels. I welcome your comments and emails. I also make trips to other countries, although not usually with the RV.

Saturday, April 05, 2008

The Highest Town in Texas


At just over 5000 feet, Fort Davis has long been a popular retreat from hot Texas summers. I was amazed at how friendly everyone was.


The Jeff Davis County Courthouse, in the center of town, was restored in 2002. Fort Davis is the only town in Texas to have been the seat of two different counties.


You definitely know that you are in Texas!


The WINs had a gathering here, and we stayed at Davis Mountains State Park. A beautiful setting up in the hills, although a bit pricey at $17 a night (gasp!)


Not only are the people here friendly, the animals are too! Javelinas visited my campsite the first night.


And this deer knocked on my door, no doubt looking for a handout. Apparently he made the rounds, because the other WINs reported he was at their door too.

More on this fascinating place to come!

3 Comments:

Blogger Barbara and Ron said...

I remember it was a pretty town when we passed through. I guess we should have stayed longer. How did Molly react to the javelinas and deer?

9:23 PM  
Blogger owner said...

Hi
If you haven't gone to visit the fort yet you missed a good tour there.
That is one thing we miss here in Florida is the wild life. We did see a couple of deer but I guess the birds make up for it. And, of course, the alligators which aren't to plentiful out west.

6:16 AM  
Blogger onthemove said...

You always find good shots I missed. How did you get the Javelinas at night?

8:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home