Life on the Open Road (April 2006 - May 2008)

The continuing saga of a single fulltime RVer who travels the western US. This is part one of my journey, from April 2006, when the blog started, to May 2008, when the blog continues at www.lifeontheopenroad.blogspot.com

My Photo
Name:

I have been a full-time RVer for 20 years, primarily "boondocking," camping free without hookups, in the Western US. My batteries are charged solely by solar panels. I welcome your comments and emails. I also make trips to other countries, although not usually with the RV.

Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Arriving at Big Bend

Few RVers know that you do not have to stay in the campgrounds in Big Bend National Park. There are lots of primitive campsites, marked on the park map, and at least 5 of them are suitable for RVs. I decided to stay at Hannold Draw primitive site, instead of with the WINs at Rio Grande Village campground. Not only was it more centrally located, but the cost for my site was $10 for my entire stay, versus $14 a night at the campground. I even had my own personal corral!


The first day, I went down to the Rio Grande Village area to see what I was missing. They do have a very nice natural hot spring, complete with a Mexican.


But one soak was enough, and I was still glad I was parked up the hill.


After my soak, I went on the short hike into Boquillas Canyon.


The PricklyPear Cactus were just starting to bloom.


Once you reach the river there are Mexican-made walking sticks and other items lying about to be purchased. Unfortunately, the fine for buying one is $5000. I don't really understand why.


Here's the sad story. You used to be able to walk across the river and buy things legally.


Victor serenaded me hoping for a donation, but stopped when he saw all I had was a camera.


Victor and his buddies across the river.


Finally, beautiful Boquillas Canyon!

5 Comments:

Blogger Barbara and Ron said...

It looks like you had great weather. Gorgeous pictures. How did you know about the fine? I don't remember that.

3:15 AM  
Blogger owner said...

We are worried about you being off alone so close to the border. Please be careful. Saving money isn't as important as saving your life.

6:38 AM  
Blogger sally said...

BE CAREFUL!!!

8:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another nice hot spring. You should write your own hot springs book. :)

11:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Diana....Just noticed your comment on our blog dated January 5th/08 so followed your site through to Boquuillas Canyon in Big Bend. We were there Christmas Day of 2004 & your pictures brought back some nice memories for us.
We are Kelly & Al of, The Bayfield Bunch:))http://thebayfieldbunch.com/

5:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home