Life on the Open Road (April 2006 - May 2008)

The continuing saga of a single fulltime RVer who travels the western US. This is part one of my journey, from April 2006, when the blog started, to May 2008, when the blog continues at www.lifeontheopenroad.blogspot.com

My Photo
Name:

I have been a full-time RVer for 20 years, primarily "boondocking," camping free without hookups, in the Western US. My batteries are charged solely by solar panels. I welcome your comments and emails. I also make trips to other countries, although not usually with the RV.

Monday, February 11, 2008

World Championship Hoop Dance Contest


Sunday in Phoenix was the 18th Annual World Championship Hoop Dance Contest. Dancers from tribes all over the US and Canada compete in different age groups, accompanied by teams of drummers and singers. Here is one of the Youth Division, aged 6-12, with the drummers and singers in the foreground.


This is Dallas Chief Eagle, a Rosebud Sioux from South Dakota, waiting to go on. He was in the "Senior Division," for dancers over 39! Seniors seem to get younger every day....


The number of hoops used ranged from 5 to about 20. Dallas seemed to have the most.


A contestant in the teen division, age 13-17.


Brian Hammill, the 2nd place winner in the adult division, from Phoenix.


This nice young man tried to show my how it was done, but I just didn't get it.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The videos are great! It's an amazing sight to see and experience.

10:13 AM  
Blogger onthemove said...

Wish I could bounce around like that!

3:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the videos!

Hugs, Sharon

10:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home