Life on the Open Road (April 2006 - May 2008)

The continuing saga of a single fulltime RVer who travels the western US. This is part one of my journey, from April 2006, when the blog started, to May 2008, when the blog continues at www.lifeontheopenroad.blogspot.com

My Photo
Name:

I have been a full-time RVer for 20 years, primarily "boondocking," camping free without hookups, in the Western US. My batteries are charged solely by solar panels. I welcome your comments and emails. I also make trips to other countries, although not usually with the RV.

Wednesday, January 09, 2008

The Largest City Park in the World?


It says so on the internet, so it must be true, huh? This is South Mountain Park, 7 miles south of downtown Phoenix. Most of the facilities were built in the early 1930s by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC). There are 51 miles of hiking trails in the park.


The view of the "skyscrapers" of downtown Phoenix from Dobbins Point.


A young Native American woman working at the park seemed mesmerized by the view, even though she probably sees it every day.


There's a forest of TV antennas on the top of the mountain.


And lots of petroglyphs around, but I didn't see them. Maybe next time.


Near the park is the Mystery Castle, built 1930-45 by Boyce Luther Gulley for his daughter. He must have been one wacky dude! His daughter still gives tours of the castle.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder if ou would be willing to let us know how your Yukon tows your new trailer? I am looking at the same trailer and already have the same vehicle. I have a 04 Tahoe, 5.3 litre.

2:09 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

Jeff,
The Yukon tows the trailer just fine. It has a tow rating of 7400 pounds, and the loaded trailer weighs 6000 or a little more.

Good luck on your new trailer,
Diana

2:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks interesting, especially Mystery Castle. I wonder how old the daughter is.

6:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Silly me - I just went to the link you provided and it looks like she's in her 80's! And still giving tours!

6:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I had hiked there last year, I was amazed at the number of runners along the trails in the park.

It is a great getaway within a sprawling urban area.

10:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the tv antennas. :)

2:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home