Life on the Open Road (April 2006 - May 2008)

The continuing saga of a single fulltime RVer who travels the western US. This is part one of my journey, from April 2006, when the blog started, to May 2008, when the blog continues at www.lifeontheopenroad.blogspot.com

My Photo
Name:

I have been a full-time RVer for 20 years, primarily "boondocking," camping free without hookups, in the Western US. My batteries are charged solely by solar panels. I welcome your comments and emails. I also make trips to other countries, although not usually with the RV.

Sunday, February 10, 2008

The Green Desert


With all the rains we've had, I decided to take a side trip to Ajo to see the green desert. There are lots of great rock formations just north of town.


I was surprised to find my favorite camping spot full of Escapee Boondockers. Even though I don't belong, they invited me right in. This is a great group; they really believe in solar power. Wow! I even found some old friends, Ron and Gloria, and finally got to meet Froggi Donna, whose blog I had been reading.


A trip to Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument was next on the agenda. Organ Pipe cacti are common in Mexico, but in the US are only in this one small area. They like the sunny south side of the hills. Everything was soooo green!


Although the west side of the park is closed because of illegal alien activity, you can still do the 21-mile Ajo Mountain Drive loop on the east side. This is the hike to Arch Canyon on that loop.


Wait! What's this? The first spring flower!


It was Doc's birthday, and he bought pizza for everyone. Apparently this is an annual event, so mark your calendars for February 6th, Cole Rd in Ajo, for free pizza!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful place - I have to go back to Organ Pipe soon. Can you still do the hike to Arch Canyon or is that closed? Free pizza - can't beat that!

11:48 AM  
Blogger Lew and Jan Johns said...

Dianna, I just love your desert-after-the-rains-PICs. So you ran into a loose pack of Escapees, huh? From the Forum I kinda thought there were some Folks hanging out around Ajo.

Lew

1:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Organ Pipe. I was there in the spring of 2005 when there were lots of flowers.

Bull Pasture is one of the hikes at Organ Pipe. It is hard to believe that someone actually ranched this area at one time. When I arrive at Bull Pasture, I wonder what the animals ate.

Thanks for the photos. It helps to remind me what I am missing.

5:58 PM  
Blogger Barney, The Old Fat Man said...

Isn't Froggi an interesting lady. I hopr to run across her again some day.

8:22 PM  
Blogger onthemove said...

Neat area! Great shots! That flower is encouraging that winter may be over soon. St Louis is freezing and some snow now.

3:42 PM  
Blogger sally said...

Spring has sprung for sure!!

Do be careful in Organ Pipe NP. It's not just overrun by Illegal Aliens, but much more dangerous drug smugglers. They can be ruthless!!

5:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home