Life on the Open Road (April 2006 - May 2008)

The continuing saga of a single fulltime RVer who travels the western US. This is part one of my journey, from April 2006, when the blog started, to May 2008, when the blog continues at www.lifeontheopenroad.blogspot.com

My Photo
Name:

I have been a full-time RVer for 20 years, primarily "boondocking," camping free without hookups, in the Western US. My batteries are charged solely by solar panels. I welcome your comments and emails. I also make trips to other countries, although not usually with the RV.

Monday, October 16, 2006

Kicks on Route 66








Today we took a trip on Route 66 north of Victorville. This is a very desolate section of the old highway. Along the way, we saw many old, falling-down motels and gas stations, one with amazingly low gas prices. We also stopped at the Bottle Tree Farm, an oasis of color in this barren desert. Thousands of bottles and other bits and pieces sit on metal tree trunks. It is the creation of folk artist Elmer Long, who has been collecting since he was a kid.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since I made the same photo stops, we could have saved some fuel by traveling together.

However, I did miss the gasoline sign. When was gas that price? Wasn't Ethel leaded gas? Does that mean that the "reg." of the sign was un-leaded? It appears that I will have to head to the internet for some answers.

12:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is an awfully well preserved sign! Wonder who keeps it in such good repair.

5:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Diana, thanks for your wonderful blog! I'm currently using your photo of Bottle Tree Farm as my wallpaper on my work computer.

11:15 AM  
Anonymous Ed said...

Regular gas and Ethel gas were both leaded but Ethel was higher octane.

I do not understand why gas is now advertised as unleaded; it has been over 30 years since lead was put in gas.

7:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home