Life on the Open Road (April 2006 - May 2008)

The continuing saga of a single fulltime RVer who travels the western US. This is part one of my journey, from April 2006, when the blog started, to May 2008, when the blog continues at www.lifeontheopenroad.blogspot.com

My Photo
Name:

I have been a full-time RVer for 20 years, primarily "boondocking," camping free without hookups, in the Western US. My batteries are charged solely by solar panels. I welcome your comments and emails. I also make trips to other countries, although not usually with the RV.

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Mammoth Lakes Area




Down a scary road from Mammoth Lakes lies the Devils Postpile, a sheer wall of symmetrical basaltic columns more than 60 feet high. It was worn smooth on top by glacial action. I took the trail to the top where the surface resembles a tile inlay. In 1910, a mining company wanted to blast the formation to dam the river. Fortunately, the application was denied, and it became a national monument in 1911.

A short hike away is 101-foot high Rainbow Falls. I didn’t see any rainbows; I think there needs to be more mist.

Diana

1 Comments:

Blogger isohappy said...

HI, Randy and Diana
I feel so privileged to have met both of you at Travertine Hot Springs, and, Randy, I'm getting a real kick out of your poetry. Thanks for the booklet.

What I didn't realize is that you're such accomplished photographers!

Hope you got your back squared away.
If I ever go on the road, I'd need to bring a portable adjusting table. NO sense wasting my talents when I could be helping people.

Kindest Regards,
Diana Walsh isohappy@sbcglobal.net

6:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home