Life on the Open Road (April 2006 - May 2008)

The continuing saga of a single fulltime RVer who travels the western US. This is part one of my journey, from April 2006, when the blog started, to May 2008, when the blog continues at www.lifeontheopenroad.blogspot.com

My Photo
Name:

I have been a full-time RVer for 20 years, primarily "boondocking," camping free without hookups, in the Western US. My batteries are charged solely by solar panels. I welcome your comments and emails. I also make trips to other countries, although not usually with the RV.

Friday, September 15, 2006

Southwestern Oregon



From Eugene, we headed south on I-5. We spent a few days in Merlin, Oregon, one of my favorite areas of the country. The picture of Randy is at Hellgate Canyon, where the Rogue River goes through a narrow gorge, on its way to the coast. Two years ago, I went on a wet and fun jet boat ride here.


Oregon is famous for its covered bridges, so we had to go see one. This is the Grave Creek bridge. Although this bridge was not built until 1920, it was built along the route of the Applegate Trail. Emigrants began using this route in 1846 as an alternative to the perilous last leg of the Oregon trail, which required a treacherous raft trip down the Columbia River.

The first wagon train to use this southern route camped here. A 16-year old girl died of Typhoid fever that night. Her grave is still here and much honored.
Diana

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home