Life on the Open Road (April 2006 - May 2008)

The continuing saga of a single fulltime RVer who travels the western US. This is part one of my journey, from April 2006, when the blog started, to May 2008, when the blog continues at www.lifeontheopenroad.blogspot.com

My Photo
Name:

I have been a full-time RVer for 20 years, primarily "boondocking," camping free without hookups, in the Western US. My batteries are charged solely by solar panels. I welcome your comments and emails. I also make trips to other countries, although not usually with the RV.

Thursday, September 20, 2007

Moving South on Green-Dotted Highways



Health food junkies know what Klamath Lake is famous for -- Blue-green Algae, a superfood, is skimmed, processed and bottled here.


After a full days drive (80 miles), we drove off into the Modoc National Forest and found this "home." We were charmed enough to stay two nights. There are countless millions of good free camping places on America's public lands. To fully enjoy this good life, one must be self-contained.


Diana captured the evening magic.


Near Mt. Lassen National Park, we searched and found parking in this forest clearing.


Diana took a side trip to photograph the park. She hiked to Bumpass Hell, a beautiful mini-Yellowstone, the old eroded vent of a dormant dome volcano.


A boardwalk allows you to walk by hissing fumaroles, boiling springs, and active mudpots.


Later, back at camp, a visitor came calling. Perhaps she was curious or lonely. Whatever, she stayed a long while.


Long enough for Baby to join the party for a drink.


Molly watched the whole show from her private window, and didn't bark once.



This great old cedar tree grew at the edge of our clearing. We were delighted to discover that it is a protected tree.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting. I've never been to Lassen - now I want to go. About that protected tree - what's with them nailing the sign to the poor tree? Ouch.

9:09 PM  
Blogger Desert Diva said...

What a relaxing life the two of you must lead. You always have such interesting photos. At Lassen I was intrigued by Hat Lake - it was so picturesque. Thanks for the wishes for Cali - she's fine now. It will be fun to compare photography "notes" at Thanksgiving!

8:07 AM  
Blogger Lew and Jan Johns said...

EeYuckk, Blue-green algae soup Lake.
Now Bumpass Hell, that is my kind of place. Thanks for turning me on to it.
Lew

9:41 AM  
Blogger sally said...

I've lived in the west all my life and have never made it to Lassen. It's on my list now. Love that green stuff!! And cows.

7:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Were there samples available at the algae soup factory? So how was the green elixir?

Mt. Lassen sounds like a great stop. I've put that as a stop on my planned journey to the northwest in 2009.

8:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home