Life on the Open Road (April 2006 - May 2008)

The continuing saga of a single fulltime RVer who travels the western US. This is part one of my journey, from April 2006, when the blog started, to May 2008, when the blog continues at www.lifeontheopenroad.blogspot.com

My Photo
Name:

I have been a full-time RVer for 20 years, primarily "boondocking," camping free without hookups, in the Western US. My batteries are charged solely by solar panels. I welcome your comments and emails. I also make trips to other countries, although not usually with the RV.

Thursday, August 02, 2007

The Bridges of Hwy 101


No road in America boasts so many lovely bridges in so short a drive--20 famous ones between the California and Washington borders.

Most of them are the brainchild of one man, Conde B. McCullough, Oregon's state bridge engineer from 1919 to 1935, who decided to make each of them beautiful, unique, and "appropriate" to its location. We travelers who pause to smell roses will also park and admire architecture. Note the Art Deco appendages on some and the Romanesque arches of others.

















4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great series of photos and a little education in the process. Thanks.

I'm looking forward to my own trip down the coast in October.

10:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very creative set of pictures - each one with a unique view. My favorite is the first one - gorgeous!

1:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, now you're going to force me to admit that only the first two pictures are mine. The others are pictures of pictures that were at the Visitor's Center in Waldport.

1:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still like the bridges! What a thing. What an invention.

3:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home