Life on the Open Road (April 2006 - May 2008)

The continuing saga of a single fulltime RVer who travels the western US. This is part one of my journey, from April 2006, when the blog started, to May 2008, when the blog continues at www.lifeontheopenroad.blogspot.com

My Photo
Name:

I have been a full-time RVer for 20 years, primarily "boondocking," camping free without hookups, in the Western US. My batteries are charged solely by solar panels. I welcome your comments and emails. I also make trips to other countries, although not usually with the RV.

Friday, July 27, 2007

Boondockers' Paradise

Find your way to the giant parking lot behind the Valley River Mall in Eugene and enjoy one of America's great spots---and it's free, with a 3-day limit.


The beautiful Willamette River flows by your door--just beyond the bike path that follows it for miles on both banks.


A rainbow-shaped bridge for bikes and walkers spans its waters.




Then a short bike ride away, on the other side, a rose garden draws you inside and restores your faith in humanity.


The western flank of the parking lot offers free food---blackberries by the bushel. We ate our fill.



And just beyond the berry patch is a nature walk across a lively slough that all sorts of creatures call home.

The mall itself is a one-minute walk away---14 theaters, terrific food court, book stores, and a hundred other shops to tempt you.

3 Comments:

Blogger Desert Diva said...

I'm always hesitant to eat berries I see in the wild - I'm afraid they'll be something other than what they look like. I saw those blackberries and should have picked some. Great pictures - I love that little "slice of paradise."

5:24 AM  
Blogger sally said...

HMMMMM, love those berries!!! I'm getting my fill up in the Portland area.

11:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI
JUST TALKED TO GAIL & KEN
THEY GAVE US YOUR BLOG
LOVE YOUR PICTURES AND VERY HAPPY YOU ARE STILL ENJOYING LIFE
WE ARE NOW 2 SUMMERS IN MESA,AZ
OUR DOOR IS ALWAYS OPEN TO YOU

LOVE YOU GUYS

PAT & HAROLD

4:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home