Life on the Open Road (April 2006 - May 2008)

The continuing saga of a single fulltime RVer who travels the western US. This is part one of my journey, from April 2006, when the blog started, to May 2008, when the blog continues at www.lifeontheopenroad.blogspot.com

My Photo
Name:

I have been a full-time RVer for 20 years, primarily "boondocking," camping free without hookups, in the Western US. My batteries are charged solely by solar panels. I welcome your comments and emails. I also make trips to other countries, although not usually with the RV.

Sunday, October 07, 2007

Independence


Heavy winds caught us at Independence, CA. We parked next to the Eastern California Museum and discussed where to spend the night. To Diana's credit, she said, "What's wrong with right here?" And so we did! No one troubled us. This experience has emboldened us and we are now willing to risk parking in more "iffy" areas.


The museum had lots of century-old farming machinery. Diana was particularly interested in this complicated mule-drawn threshing machine. Farming stopped in 1910 when Los Angeles bought up the entire valley for its water rights.


Molly admires the completed cabinet. It now has a back, and the heater has been attached. Diana is thrilled.


To refresh your memory, here is the "before" picture, showing the factory-installed dinette and the lack of floor space.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the remodeling of your "home." What an improvement. The manufacturers could get a few pointers from you. The photo with the orange barn is so neat! It looks like a painting.

5:17 AM  
Blogger Desert Diva said...

I love the photo with the farm equipment - did you do this in HDR?

It's interesting that you choose a smaller trailer to live in. Many of the WIN's have huge motorhomes that I couldn't see driving around all of the time. Actually, I'm quite fond of my little Toyota Sunrader.

I think your "remodel" is wonderful - especially having your desk so you can look out the window. I went to the New Mexico State Fair this past weekend and they had some RV trailers there. However, I really didn't like any of the floorplans.

Maybe you and Randy should become RV "designers." ;-)

It will fun to see you over Thanksgiving! Maybe we should organize a "group shoot." However, I want to spend some time with you "picking your brain" for photography hints!

9:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful job, Randy. Do you hire out? That heater should keep Molly nice and toasty if it ever cools off!

Hugs, Sharon

6:09 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

Cheryl,
Yes, the photo is an HDR. Don't look too closely though, the wind was blowing hard and it's a little blurry. I was also standing on the ladder on my trailer, and not using a tripod.
I really think it's your brain I need to pick!
Diana

8:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your desk looks great! I can't wait to see your new trailer when you come visit. I bet Mara will love sitting on your new couch. I wonder if she'll remember you have muffins in the trailer. :)

10:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an amazing improvement. You did a great job of designing and Randy is amazingly talented. I thought the picture with the barn WAS a painting.

8:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home